Yum. Make these vegan with one of the ground vegan meats, or use any other healthy ground meat of your choice. Wuss? Then leave out the sriracha.
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 large shallot, chopped
1.5 tbsp chopped ginger
⅔ cup shredded carrots
⅔ cup chopped organic celery
1/2 c chopped mushrooms (shiitake would be nice)
½ c shredded red cabbage
5-6 whole water chestnuts, chopped, optional
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 lb. vegan ground “meat, or organic ground chicken breast or organic ground turkey
¼ tsp salt, or to taste
⅛ tsp pepper
3 tbsp naturally sweetened BBQ sauce
2 tbsp coconut aminos
2 tsp sriracha, optional
3-4 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp rice vinegar
Serve and garnish:
1-2 heads Butter lettuce
3 tbsp organic peanuts
1 bulb scallion, chopped
• Prepare ingredients from garlic to chestnuts. Prepare the sauce in one bowl. Set them aside ready to use.
• In a well-heated large skillet or wok, add 2 tbsp oil. Saute garlic, shallot, and ginger over medium high heat with a pinch of salt until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
• Add ground meat. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the meat is cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Then lower the heat to medium, saute for 2 additional minutes. Your skillet should not be wet and watery or the dish will be less tasty.
• Turn the heat up to medium-high, add vegetables. Season with a pinch of salt. Saute for 1 minute. Add water chestnuts. Saute for another 1 minute.
• Add 2 tbsp sauce and stir-fry for coat it all over, about 10 seconds. Keep the sauce minimal so the texture remains crunchy and not soggy. Taste and make seasoning adjustments to your liking. Off heat.
• To serve, place the lettuce wraps over a large serving tray/plate. Load each lettuce cup with several tablespoons of the mixture into the center. Garnish with scallions and nuts. Serve the extra sauce on the side.